I want to go racing

General F500 related topics

Full Name:
Ted Simmons
.:
SCCA Member
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:24 pm
OK, you’ve decided to go racing and have looked at the SCCA classes and now you’re ready to pick a class and buy a car. But, you have limited resources so you have to shop around for the best bang for the buck. You’re considering FF, F500, or FV because they might be in your price range.

You’re new to racing cars but you’ve heard about F500 and the possibility of running a MC powered car in the class. You’re interested F600 because you want to shift gears none of this CVT crap for you. You don’t care how fast the CVT car is you want a REAL race car – one that you have to shift! You start to peruse the for sale ads and find these two. Which one would you buy?

It appears there is already a class of reasonably priced cars to race if you want to shift gears. Image

For sale FF $12,000

For sale F600 $14,000

593 Development Team
593 Development Team
Location: Howards Grove Wi. 8 miles from Road America the Best track in America
Full Name:
Mark Vollbrecht
.:
SCCA Member
Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:12 pm
Hy did Richard sell that car petty cheap I think he wanted $8000. with spares and then the price drop considerably and then he sold it to Murphy with out the motor. correct me if i am not right. We know they have at least $6 grand in parts not including motor and accessories. So is the $14000. a lose or profit or a project gone bad. that should of been their best chassis or else at least the newest one they had. before buying the mc purpose built cars.

Full Name:
Jonathan Whorf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 am
I am not against the MC powered cars, but I would rather have an FF than a converted car, especially now that there is another motor option than the antique kent 1600. I am not sure the price diffence between converting from rotax to MC opposed ford kent to honda fit, but the fit conversion is pretty close to bolt in. and the fit engines can be bought new with the dry sump attached. The dry sump for MCs are not cheap and I would not trust them with a wet sump.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Full Name:
Wayne Dixon
.:
SCCA Member
Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:56 am
So much for the notion of "Formula Ford Speed for a Formula V Price". :>
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice...
In practice there is."
- Yogi Berra

"Any idiot can publish anything on the Internet... and other idiots will believe it."

2009 New England Cross Country 40+ ATV Champion - http://dix.50webs.com/

My biggest problem is that my brain doesn't realize how old my body is.

Full Name:
Richard Schmidt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 pm
Mark V. said

Hy did Richard sell that car petty cheap I think he wanted $8000. with spares and then the price drop considerably and then he sold it to Murphy with out the motor. correct me if i am not right.

Sold for $7,000 with 3 sets of tires, spare rotors, caliber and almost complete set of bodywork. Missing center section. I kept the motor and motor related parts plus the clutches and belts.

Ted - it cost more a season to race a FF than a F500 for the same number of events. There are a lot of FF's sitting in garages gathering dust because the owners can not afford to rebuild the engines or do the upkeep on the suspension parts. When they do go out, it is most likely only once a season to save wear and tear. Now of course there are FF racers who can afford the cost and run a full season, but they have big budgets also. The guy I crewed for this last summer at BIR hasn't race for years. Then ran the one race in 2010.

Richard

Full Name:
Robert A. Jordan
.:
SCCA Member
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 am
Not sure what a FF cost today, but several years ago at NHMS someone had a brand new FF. They told me to buy it and get it ready for the track it cost them about $68,000. Does anyone know the cost of a good engine? I think they were in the $9000 to $12,000 range. One of the Cmod drivers told me if he had a hole in his block then yes he would look at the Honda Fit conversion, which I think is $10,000.

Had a Lola FF twenty five years ago for Solo 2. Not the best but I had fun with it, but not as much as I have had with my Zink F500 and hope to have with my Raptor DE2. If money was no object I most likely would buy a S2000 (Ford) and hope that they get the newer twin cams engines some day! Of course that is because I would fit better in a S2000 than a FF. If you win the lottery buy a FF. It is a great Road Race class and king of Cmod.
For those of you who don't know it, S2000 (Ford) is the only other legal Cmod car, I think :ugeek: .

Return to F500.us Lounge